Solar Battery vs. Generator
It’s pretty a common misconception that homes with rooftop panels will still have electricity to power the home during an outage. At NC Solar Now, we can understand the confusion on this topic and want to take a minute to set the story straight. The logic behind this idea is sound: 1) Solar panels make electricity. 2) You have solar panels. 3) Therefore, you should have electricity. Unfortunately, that isn’t quite the way it works. But that doesn’t mean you will be left in the dark…you have options!
What Happens During an Outage?
In order to understand why your solar panels won’t automatically provide you with power during an outage, you need to fully understand how they work.
- Solar panels will only generate electricity during the day.
- Your solar panel system is always going to be tied to the grid because that’s how you receive energy to your home when there isn’t enough solar energy being produced. Remember the term Net Metering and how that works?
Okay, so let’s say there is an outage during the day- shouldn’t the solar panels just keep on generating enough energy to power your home? In theory “yes”, but remember the idea of being tied to the grid?
Since your home has to be connected to the grid, there are safety protocols that are required due to the grid system. During a power outage, the utility company will send out their crew to work on power lines. While they are working, sections of the grid will be shut off to keep the workers safe. To prevent homes that are using solar from continuing to try to send electricity to and from the grid, your system will shut down too. That is why a backup option is worth considering.
You Won’t Be Left In The Dark- There Are Options!
- Generator- A traditional generator comes in a variety of sizes that can power your entire home or just a few appliances. The choice is yours to make depending on how much money you would like to spend. You also have to keep in mind that generators run on fuel so you must include that cost in your budget. It is also worth mentioning that if there was a large storm or hurricane you would have to make sure that you had enough fuel ahead of the storm. As we have seen in the past, fuel can be in short supply after a hurricane. And lastly, if going green is your ultimate goal- then this option is not for you!
- Battery Backup Solution- At NC Solar Now, we offer a battery backup solution that is unlike the generators you buy at the hardware store. With the Battery BackUp Solution, there will be no interruption of power during an outage. That means when a storm hits and the power is out…your home will keep on rockin’! Your wifi won’t turn off, the kids won’t miss Sesame Street and the air conditioner will stay on! That is a huge bonus for our North Carolina summers! It is also worth mentioning that customers who purchase a battery backup solution are able to receive the 26 % tax credit.
- Tesla Powerwall- At NC Solar Now, we are a certified installer for the Tesla Powerwall. Powerwall is a rechargeable home battery system that lets you store solar energy generated during the day and use it at night, which allows you to self-power your home and reduce your reliance on the utility grid. Powerwall also protects your home from a power outage with seamless and reliable backup power. Through the Tesla mobile app, you will have full visibility and control over your self-powered home.
The Choice Is Yours!
We highly recommend that you have a backup option. Which option, you may ask? That is 100% your choice to make. Take a minute to research each option more extensively and decide what is right for you and your budget. We are always here to help with any questions you may have!
For More Information
At NC SOLAR NOW, we are North Carolina’s Most Trusted solar panel installer and embrace the philosophy that solar is for everyone! We’ll be by your side from your first free virtual consult through our warranty period and beyond. Visit us online at NC SOLAR NOW, send us a message, or call us at 919-833-9096.