U.S. Rooftops Can Save You Money
Imagine one day (in the not-too-distant future), solar panels being as common as shingles. What impact would that have on our energy consumption as a whole?
Now, imagine a scenario where everyone in your neighborhood had solar panels. How much power would be captured, stored, and shared with other homes on the same grid? An interconnected web of solar could help to generate power for both personal and business use alike….the start of a solar energy movement!
The Research Study
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory, NREL, conducted a three year research study to learn just how much energy photovoltaic (PV) systems could provide in the continental United States. The report shows that if PV systems were installed on all suitable roof areas in the continental U.S., it could generate close to 40 percent of our national electricity. Talk about one big, serious, and wonderful energy movement!
The researchers studied 128 cities in the continental United States to see how many buildings would be suitable for PV systems.
- 83% of small buildings have a suitable location for PV installation, but only 26 percent of those buildings’ total rooftop area is suitable for development.
- Small buildings actually provide the greatest combined technical potential.
- Small-building rooftops could accommodate up to 731 GW of PV capacity and generate 926 TWh per year of PV energy – approximately 65 percent of the country’s total rooftop technical potential.
- Medium and large buildings have a total installed capacity potential of 386 GW and energy generation potential of 506 TWh per year
- Medium and large buildings make up approximately 35 percent of the total technical potential of rooftop PV.
What Does the Future Hold?
This research study gives us insight into what the future could look like for Solar Power in the United States! If we installed solar panels on every eligible building, then we could generate close to half of our nation’s electricity! This is an exciting find for solar enthusiasts and for potential solar owners.
Our government understands the importance of solar power and that is why they have extended the Federal Solar Tax credit for the 2021 year. This means homeowners that install a solar panel system for their home this year will be eligible for the 26% tax credit.
With many homeowners taking advantage of this tax credit, the amount of solar installations is bound to increase! Could this increase be the start of solar panels on every rooftop in the United States? Could our dream of powering 40% of our nation’s electricity actually become a reality? Only time will tell!
For More Information
At NC SOLAR NOW, we are North Carolina’s Most Trusted solar panel installer and embrace the philosophy that solar is for everyone! We’ll be by your side from your first free virtual consult through our warranty period and beyond. Visit us online at NC SOLAR NOW, send us a message, or call us at 919-833-9096.